By Sgilmor on February 22, 2018
Posted in Support Questions
Replies 6
Likes 0
Views 5.2K
Votes 0

When I read about healing leaky gut, I see advice to cut out starch vegetables like potatoes and sweet potatoes. So much goes against being a vegan or a starch-based one. Can you point me to some articles that can help me understand this? Thank you.

Have you read this post by Dr. Carney about What Causes Leaky Gut?

https://www.drcarney.com/blog/science-inspired/what-causes-leaky-gut

I hope you will find that a good place to start. 

Here is a good video by Dr. Greger:

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-leaky-gut-theory-of-why-animal-products-cause-inflammation/

·
6 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·

Thank you Sean. And yes, I have read what Dr. Carney wrote. Very helpful but I would like to know about the food side of it because everywhere you look at this subect it is contrary to Starch-Smart and just a vegetarian way of life, in general. I would also like to know if there are any success stories here or elsewhere. It is so discouraging to have these food and skin allergies. I want recovery so much! Sometimes, I feel so down about it. Not today, but it does happen. 

·
6 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·

I keep a food diary to see if I can find foods that my body is reacting to. So far tomatoes and I just made a soup yesterday that I had over rice for breakfast--it had paprika. And my skin has gotten blotchy again. I know both of these are nightshades. And I've seen an article online that this is a food family that should be avoided by people like me. But potatoes are in this family. I've not seen any reaction to white potatoes but should I avoid them? 

·
6 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
Perhaps you would do better with sweet potatoes, Yams & winter squash.
·
4 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
My body has been healing slowly but surely. I can handle tomatoes again. Yay! Though I don't push it. Same for others in the nightshade family. Just to be safe. Sweet potatoes are definitely a friend!
·
4 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
We are so glad you are feeling better. And, also grateful because we know you are doing a lot in your community to promote a whole food plant based lifestyle. :-)
·
4 years ago
·
0 Likes
·
0 Votes
·
0 Comments
·
View Full Post