January 1, 2019
  2 Replies
  3.7K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe

I have heard a number of whole food, plant-based doctors advocate that WFPB eaters should avoid using protein power, even plant-based powders.  Is there any research that anyone can cite showing negative effects of using plant protein powder?  I have plant-based friends who say they feel sluggish and tired when they don't take the powders. I ask if they are eating their legumes regularly and they say yes but they still feel they need the extra protein, typically pea protein.  Should one be concerned about their kidney function if they are taking in some plant protein powder?  Is there an amount that would be considered likely safe and not to worry about?  Is this a big deal or not?  I hear so much pushback on the advocacy of NOT eating it, similar to the pushback about NOT using oils. Interested in what Dr. Carney and others have to say. 

5 years ago
·
Votes
Undo

Thank you so much for asking this question Denise,

Dr. Carney is spending new years day hanging out in the kitchen doing cooking experiments. That is one of her favorite activities. I just read her your question. Her response was that the question is a good question that should be asked and deserves to be answered. The short answer is that all powdered supplements are processed foods. 

She stated the following: 

Plant protein does not harm the kidneys the way that animal proteins do.

Excess calories are the real issue. Pea protein is concentrated calories. Excess calories are the issue. Lifespan is shortened by excess calories. For some people, excess calories may exacerbate some other conditions. 

We do have a blog post that you might find interesting about food processing:

https://www.drcarney.com/articles/food-processing-made-simple

Sean

5 years ago
·
Votes
Undo

Do you by any chance have a picture of a label for one of the products you are asking about? I suspect that some pea proteins may be too processed but we would need to see the label to be sure. 

• Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.

Off Canvas Main Menu Display