Discussion Forum

Forum for DrCarney.com Discussions, Questions, & Answers
  1. Lori
  2. Meal Conversations
  3. July 4, 2018
  4.  Subscribe via email

what is the best cookbook and/or meal planning that I can get my hands on?  currently I own the How not to die cookbook (don't have the companion about his plan though) and chef AJ's the secret to ultimate weight loss cookbook.  I'm finding sometimes I want and/or need simple things to fix after a long day at work.  Lets add the plan to work out three times a week to cut down on more cooking time.  

Like right now I have Kale, but I used to massage it with avacado.. well, now I don't know how i can make kale into a delicious salad because I am not suppose to eat avacado.  So, for me, a newbie in the world of whole foods, I find I spend a LOT of time looking for the right recipe, then spend hours cooking and preparing them.  While once a month this would be awesome, I  would like to free more weekend time up to get things I need to done around the house, or time with family.. 

So, anything you know to help with easy meal ideas, preperations would be awesome... 

thanks!

Lori

Comment
There are no comments made yet.
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
Lori, I think your question is a little too vague. There is no best cookbook. There are thousands of recipes available online, and I have built my own "cookbook" a little at a time over the years. We would need a lot more information to make suggestions. Like are you cooking for only yourself, or a family? Since you said you are trying to leave out avocados I assume you are trying to lose weight. If that is true, then that would change what people would recommend. More important than all that, I believe, is to keep meals simple. I eat the same things most days. Oatmeal and fruit for breakfast, a big salad with a starch added for lunch. I do make involved recipes sometimes, but not a daily thing. Here's a pretty simple thing I do with kale. I buy a bunch of kale and a bunch of chard (the usual size you find in supermarket) and remove stems. I steam them together for about 8 minutes. While they are steaming I mix in a large bowl 1 Tbl balsamic vinegar (i used pear infused but any flavor you like will work) 1 tsp dill, 1 tsp.basil. 1-2 minced garlic cloves. After steaming add greens to bowl mix and eat! My wife and I both love this as a side dish. After all that I do have a cookbook recommendation: Straight Up Food by Cathy Fisher. The recipes are good and there is a lot of info on preparation, where to get ingredients, and why to eat this diet.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Meal Conversations
  3. # 1
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo

Thanks Alfred!  I do live and eat alone most days so most my menu is just for one.  But, I do like bulk cooking so I have left overs!  I tend to make one thing and eat it for four or more days, but that does get old by day four! LOL  I am trying to lose weight, but also trying to raise my iron (and yes, eating lots of kale and beans... etc.) and lower cholesterol (which I already have, but needs a bit more, hopefully this months blood work reveals better levels! :) )

That being said, I am in dire need of delicious foods for a 6 yr old grandson.  I don't want to pump more garbage into him when he comes.  I want him to learn to like whole foods.  had him try snow peas yesterday and he hated it! :(..  trying to figure out what to cook the lad other than the staple "mac and cheese" or "pizza" even if they are made from wfpb accepted foods.

as always, thanks!

Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Meal Conversations
  3. # 2
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!