March 19, 2018
  2 Replies
  3.6K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe

I am not eating nut butters but my husband and son do--usually in their oatmeal. We buy a natural almond butter. The oil separates from the nutty mixture and we are wondering if this oil would be classified as a refined oil. 

Also we were discussing how refined oils effects the heart--I have read about the endothelial lining of the arteries and how it's impacted by oils. My husband has a scientific mindset and he was wondering about the amount of oil that was used in the studies. He says he's not doubting; he just has a question about whether the outcomes would be different based on the amount of oil used. My son isn't 100% convinced that no-oil is for everybody. I am sold that it is and would like to share more documented evidence to help them with their questions. 

Thanks for your help.

6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo

Hello Sue,

Below is a page that almost answers your question about how much oil was used in the Brachial Artery Tournequest Test. The answer was 50 grams. However, that is a weight measurement which comes to equal just under 1.8 ounces by weight. The tricky part though is that we meausure oils by fluid ounces and not by weight ounces. 

I did a Google search and discovered that a gallon of Olive Oil weighs 7.6 lbs. 

There are 16 weight ounces to a pound so a gallon of Olive Oil is equal to 121.6 weight ounces. 

There are 128 fluid ounces in a gallon. So a fluid ounce of olive oil would weight .95 of an ounce. 

(To figure out the weight of one fluid ounce of olive oil we would divide 121.6 weight ounces by 128 to get the weight of a fluid ounce of olive oil.  That would be 121.6/128= .95 of an ounce)

So, if my math is correct to figure the liquid equivalent we would multiple the weight ounces by .95 to get the fluid ounces. That would mean that 1.8 weight ounces would be a volume of 1.71 fluid ounces. So, the answer is that 1.71 fluid ounces was the amount they were using in the Brachial Artery Tournequest Test. 

Now the question is how much is 1.71 fluid ounces?

There are 8 ounces to a cup.  There are 16 tablespoons to a cup.  

So, one ounce equals 2 Tablespoons (16/8=2)

1.71 ounces equals 3.42 Tablespoons (1.71x2=3.42) 

So, that does seem like a significant amount of oil for the test. But, it also does not invalidate the test. If you eat less oil you will possibly have less damage. 

Also, I am going to ask some other people to double check my math and see if maybe they also have an easier way to know the answer to this question. 

Here is the web site where I read that the meausrement they used was 50 grams. Hopefully this is correct: 

http://www.happyhealthylonglife.com/happy_healthy_long_life/2008/07/im-going-to-miss-my-olive-oil---who-knew-it-wasnt-so-healthy-after-all-drs-esselstyn-ornish-vogel-rudel-did.html

6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo

Oh, and YES. If an oil separates from it's fiber is basically a refined product at that point. 

• Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.

Off Canvas Main Menu Display