February 22, 2018
  6 Replies
  5.1K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe

When I read about healing leaky gut, I see advice to cut out starch vegetables like potatoes and sweet potatoes. So much goes against being a vegan or a starch-based one. Can you point me to some articles that can help me understand this? Thank you.

4 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
We are so glad you are feeling better. And, also grateful because we know you are doing a lot in your community to promote a whole food plant based lifestyle. :-)
4 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
My body has been healing slowly but surely. I can handle tomatoes again. Yay! Though I don't push it. Same for others in the nightshade family. Just to be safe. Sweet potatoes are definitely a friend!
4 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Perhaps you would do better with sweet potatoes, Yams & winter squash.
6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo

I keep a food diary to see if I can find foods that my body is reacting to. So far tomatoes and I just made a soup yesterday that I had over rice for breakfast--it had paprika. And my skin has gotten blotchy again. I know both of these are nightshades. And I've seen an article online that this is a food family that should be avoided by people like me. But potatoes are in this family. I've not seen any reaction to white potatoes but should I avoid them? 

6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo

Thank you Sean. And yes, I have read what Dr. Carney wrote. Very helpful but I would like to know about the food side of it because everywhere you look at this subect it is contrary to Starch-Smart and just a vegetarian way of life, in general. I would also like to know if there are any success stories here or elsewhere. It is so discouraging to have these food and skin allergies. I want recovery so much! Sometimes, I feel so down about it. Not today, but it does happen. 

6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo

Have you read this post by Dr. Carney about What Causes Leaky Gut?

https://www.drcarney.com/blog/science-inspired/what-causes-leaky-gut

I hope you will find that a good place to start. 

Here is a good video by Dr. Greger:

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-leaky-gut-theory-of-why-animal-products-cause-inflammation/

• Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.

Off Canvas Main Menu Display