February 13, 2018
  2 Replies
  2.4K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe

I am a newbie when it comes to taking home blood sugar readings. Is it bad to take a reading after walking on the treadmill? And what makes the readings fluctuate. Some days it is up in the pre-diabetic zone and sometimes it is normal. I take readings every other morning before breakfast.Wondering if this is normal or if I'm doing something wrong. Thanks for your help. 

6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo

Hi Sue,

Test your fasting blood glucose fingerstick the first thing in the AM when you wake up.  (I have my glucometer in a drawer near the toilet.)  

Testing the first thing in the morning will give you the best readings on which to base a diagnosis of prediabetes or not.  If your fingerstick is higher than 99 the first thing when you wake up, this qualifies as prediabetic.  If you measure your fingerstick more than 10 minutes after you wake up, your glucose reading will start to rise because that is the effect that waking up has.  Rising blood sugar levels help us to feel more awake, and the longer we have been awake, the higher the level will go....until we start to eat or exercise.  Then, all bets are off, because what our blood sugar does during eating or exercising depends on our degree of insulin resistance.

Thank you for asking this great question.

And happy birthday coming up!

Kind Regards,

Dr. Carney

6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo

Thanks so much Linda--for all your replies to my many questions. I will start taking readings immediately. 

And thank you for the birthday wishes. it's going to be in the 40's again--a beautiful birthday gift from God--so I'll be abe to enjoy a walk outside. One thing I love about meeting you--I have fallen in love with walking. So excited that I reached 100 minutes yesterday!! 

This morning, we'll be enjoying oat groats for breakfast..our first time. Where do you get yours?

• Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.

Off Canvas Main Menu Display