February 7, 2018
  4 Replies
  2K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe

I am following the Starch-Smartest plan right now. But I'd like to try out a new recipe from Forks Over Knives. No oil, of course. Grains in it is brown rice and bread crumbs. 

I have been staying away from flour. Can you tell me what the rationale behind avoiding flour is? 

6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo

Hello Sue,

You are again asking a question specifically geared towards people who have chosen to eat following the Starch-Smartest category which is designed as therapeutic living for illness reversal or to reverse severe obesity. This is not necessarily the program for all people and all circumstances. In the Starch-Smartest program all processed foods are avoided. This even includes some foods that are considered minimally processed. Dr. Carney's article "Food Processing Made Simple" might help you to understand more a reason why certain foods are avoided in this stricter dietary program. 

The reasons for this are covered in detail in Dr. Carney's Video "Why We Do What We Do?"

But, again there are issues of the quicker blood sugar assimilation and the calorie density of the products as well as reduced nutritional density. As well, it is very easy to gain weight when eating flour products. 

In the Starch-Smartest program even light processing is avoided. All of Dr. Carney's other program levels are less restrictive. 

I hope this helps. 

Sean

PS. There are some alternatives to breadcrumbs that people use but those also would not be Starch-Smartest. :-(

6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo

I understand this plan is a therapeutic one. I appreciate your explanation. I will look for the article you mentioned. Thank you for your help. I opted to use quick oats in place of the bread crumbs. God bless!

6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo

Well, let us know how the recipe turned out with the substitution. :-) BTW, there are degrees of processing in oats as well as follows, as a general rule, from unprocessed to most processed:
Whole Oat Groats -> Steel Cut Oats -> Rolled Oats > Whole Oat Flour -> Instant Oats -> Cheerios

PS. Thanks for asking in the forum so that others with the same questions can see the responses and join in the conversations. :-)

6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo

The recipe turned out just fine! It was a recipe called Chickpea Nuggets. I think another name for felafels. It had the same ingredients and seasonings. Baked not fried. They wanted you to roll the nuggets in the bread crumbs with some Italian herbs. I ended up using quick oats (gluten-free) and doubling the amount. But I didn't roll the nuggets in it; I added it to the mixture and baked it that way. It turned out wonderful! 

I haven't used oat groats before. But I just found a recipe for a breakfast cereal made in the slow cooker that uses them. So I think I will try them. We use a thick rolled gluten free variety for oatmeal here.

• Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.

Off Canvas Main Menu Display