July 7, 2017
  24 Replies
  16.5K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe

The story about Ken Thomas entitled Ken's Engineered Type 1 Diabetes Whole Food Plant Based Low Fat Lifestyle proved to be extremely popular, generating many questions and comments to the point that we decided it might be easier for people to find this information if it was included in a forum dicussion. Hence the creation of this post. Feel free to join the conversation here. 

6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo

I received a question about over testing after meals and over correcting for a resulting high. I thought I would share my answer here:

I would not imagine testing too often being an issue. I never want to turn a blind eye to my blood-sugar. I want to know where I'm at, at any given minute. When I try a new food item, I will test every 15 minutes from consumption for about 2 or 3 hours, so I can plot its effect. That information is important for injection timing (how far to precede the meal), and the dose amount. If there is a dip then a rise, the dose precede time should be reduced. If it rises then falls (in less than an hour), the dose precede should be lengthened. When you get it right, it will stay flat then slowly taper down after 2 or 3 hours. My precede time averages around 10 minutes for a large potato, but sometimes it is as short as a minute or as long as 30 minutes (depending on state of insulin resistance). If I see that I'm going over 5.5 (100mg/dl), I will go ahead and add some correction and log it. Experience will tell how much correction is needed, but I no-longer worry about over correcting. If I think I might have over corrected, then I just keep testing and follow the rate of change. From that, I can predict when I will drop under 3.9 (70mg/dl) and can have a fruit snack that fits that timing to level it out. If the over-correction is huge, I will add some starch to the fruit. There have been occasions when I accidentally took insulin twice for a meal - a double dose. No problem, I always have snacks on hand and testing lets me know what's happening before I actually "crash". Testing after a fruit "boost" lets you learn how fast a particular fruit works and how much is needed for a particular fall rate.

6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo

Here is a link to an article Ken wrote about his logs and logging. He also provided links to download his logs although you may need to tweak the numbers for metric:

https://www.drcarney.com/blog/condition-related/ken-s-type-1-diabetes-journey-logs

6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo

Hi Rachel,

Thank you for the kind words.
Yes! I hear you about the stress. Getting a handle on diabetes, where you are actually in control is a major stress relief, even if it is hard.
It helps to keep a log of the meals, times, blood-sugars, insulin, activities, etc. A log helps for understanding the trends and is a guide for the next day. It is different each day, even if it is an exact repeat, so it is only a guide. It also helps get familiar with cause-and-effect making it easier to predict, which is a major element of control.
As his insulin resistance grows less, the meals and insulin become more in sync making control so much easier.
In the metric system, my blood-sugar window is 3.9 to 5.5. I figure that that is inside the non-diabetic normal range, so if I can keep it there, I will never suffer any diabetic complications. So far, so good! In fact, my optometrist informed me that my retina looks like that of a child or very young adult - I'm 65 years old.
I would say to your son, don't worry about being different! Be proud of it! No one has ever accomplished anything great by being normal! I get much of my inspiration from people who are like the Jonathan Livingston Seagull fable: http://csermelyblog.tehetsegpont.hu/sites/default/files/angol%20sir%C3%A1ly.pdf
Wishing you the best!
Ken

6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo

Hello everyone

My name is Rachel and I am the mother of a 12 year old diabetic boy. Matthew was diagnosed at age 4, and my health has suffered so badly because of the worry and stress I feel from the conflicting information from both medical staff and internet. I am a vegan myself and I follow the Starch Solution. My husband is French and continues to eat a high fat French diet, so my situation is complicated. It is harder to make changes to your child when both parents are not on the same page. After finding ken's story and reading for hours on end these past few days, Matthew and I have decided to give this a go. We will keep you updated because it is invaluable to read the stories of other people. I just wanted to say hi and a huge thank you to Ken for all the information he provides. You are an inspiration and a breath of fresh air in a world that demonises carbs.

Rachel

• Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.

Off Canvas Main Menu Display