May 11, 2017
  5 Replies
  10.7K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe

When inviting a friend via FB to our monthly vegan potluck dinner, a friend of hers posted this comment:  

"My neurologist...more than one...has told me this [vegan diet] is dangerous for people with neuromuscular conditions. I would be cautious with any extreme food plan."

This is a new one for me. I'm used to, "Where do you get your protein?" or "What about calcium?" but I've never heard this before. I asked her to be more specific, e.g. "What makes it dangerous?" but I got no response. I have a hard time believing that eating a healthy WFPB diet is dangerous for those who have neuromuscular conditions. I'm particulary interested in this because I have a neuromuscular (?) disorder that has never been officially diagnosed, although I've been told by a chiropractor that it was related to gaba hormone function. I've been eating a WFPB diet for 6 years. 

6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo

Cathy,

This is a great question which I have heard this before. There is evidence from a long study in which Dr. McDougall has been involved that indicates the opposite is true, at least in the case of Multiple Sclerosis. I did a Google search as follows and received some very interesting results: https://www.google.com/search?q=mcdougall+study+on+multiple+sclerosis

The video below is actually an audio file from Dr. McDougall speaking about MS:

This is another interesting video about Multiple Sclerosis with Dr. McDougall as well: 

There is a lot more out there on this subject and hopefully we will be able to gather more of it here for others with the same question to explore. 

Here is an article by Dr. McDougall regarding the Results of the Diet & Multiple Sclerosis Study.

The following link has a wealth of articles on Multiple Sclerosis (MS) & Diet

Sean

6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo

Thank you, Sean! I will check out the info! 

6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo

Hopefully others will also post information here soon. :-)

6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo

Hi Sean,

I've just learned that the person referred to in my original question has Muscular Dystrophy, not MS.  She, of course, has thrown at me the "plants don't provide all of the necessary amino acids to build, maintain, and repair muscles," which of course, we know is bunk (as explained in McDougall's article to Circulation, June 25, 2002, Vol 105, Issue 25). 

Any insightful information on the impact of a WFPB on Muscular Dystrophy?

Thanks,

Cathy

6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo

That was very cool that you attached the document from Dr. McDougall. I love this forum. :-) 

It is so sad to see people unwilling to try a whole food plant based no oil diet in cases like this. Such suffering in this world. Ouch. 

• Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.

Off Canvas Main Menu Display