April 5, 2017
  2 Replies
  6.8K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe

Dr. Carney,

I was so thrilled to see you for the second time at HealthFest in Marshall.  I appreciate all your efforts to help us achieve optimal health.  I came home excited to get into your plan. 

I have lost 4 pounds, but I am trying to lower my blood pressure.  I had the opposite results with my blood pressure so far.  Before HealthFest, my blood pressure had been running about132/76.  But since I've been following the starch smart plan, my pressure numbers have been 136/84,151/76,145/77, 150/77, 153/75, 151/73, 152/74 starting with Monday thru today in that order.

HELP! I'm really discouraged.

Thank you.

Paulette Hanks

5 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
hhmm.. this is scary. I've been wfpb sos caffeine / chocolate free for over four months now and my blood pressure is still high. sleep apnea? never considered this but I do wake up several times a night, um, to go pee :)>.. it's all the water I drink! LOL... but seriously, could it simply be bad genes?
7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo

Hi Paulette,

Blood pressure can rise from many reasons, such as airway swelling during springtime (it is the peak of oak season here in Austin right now) as well as our levels of exercise (the best times being to take a gentle walk right after breakfast, lunch, [and supper, if you eat then] for 20 minutes if you have time.

But you know in your heart that the answer is not to add oils or animal proteins back in to your dietary plan, because that would not help lower your blood pressure.

So staying WFPBNO (whole-food, plant-based, no-oil) is the foundation.

These factors may all raise blood pressure levels:

1. Eating cholesterol, which is only found in meat, dairy, & eggs, may contribute to elevated BP.
  2. Eating saturated fats, which are common in coconut and animal products, may contribute to elevated BP. Eating oils, nuts, seeds, avocado, and coconut products may contribute to HIGHER BP in genetically susceptible individuals.
  3. Being overweight may contribute to elevated BP.
  4. Caffeine, either in chocolate, cacao, or beverages, may contribute to elevated BP.
  5. Eating wheat, especially when flour is ingested, may contribute to elevated BPs.
  6. Not eating beans (or lentils) and greens twice a day may contribute to elevated BPs.
  7. Eating too much fruit may contribute to elevated BP, especially in the form of smoothies, juices, or sauces. Eating dried fruit such as raisins may contribute to elevated BPs in genetically sensitive people who are carrying more body-fat than they need.
  8. Taking in more calories than one can metabolically process may contribute to elevated BPs, especially when those calories are eaten after 5:30 PM. Eating later than 6 PM raises levels of BP, in genetically susceptible people.
  9. Not exercising daily may contribute to elevated BPs.
  10. Not getting to bed prior to 10 PM may contribute to elevated BPs. Sleep that is interrupted by frequent awakenings (from pets, time zone changes, children, or restless sleep-partners) may contribute to elevated BPs.
  11. Having sleep-disordered breathing may contribute to elevated BPs, whether that airflow is obstructed by the sagging of the throat and tongue muscles due to aging, or whether the airflow is compromised by sinus issues such as allergic swelling or prior nasal trauma.
  12. Drinking alcohol in any form may raise blood pressures, cholesterol levels, and especially triglycerides. 

To preserve your optimum health, you need to know every 3 months that your KIDNEY FUNCTIONS are still testing in a safer range, & that fact that higher blood pressures may harm kidneys, eyes, hearts and your brain is why a fasting blood test is recommended as drawn 4 times per year.

Eating an oil-free whole foods plant-based diet low in fat may save money at the grocery store (& by helping you to not need the pharmacy, hospital, and surgery center as much) and can also help you to enjoy your best possible health!

A breakfast of lentils, greens, sweet potatoes, other vegetables, and whole grains like millet will help you to lose cravings for sweets, poultry, meats, & cheese. Avoid high fat foods, as well as refined sugar & refined flour products such as those in most desserts & baked goods, choosing instead a product whose 1st word in the ingredient list is WHOLE, Cracked, or SPROUTED. The soluble fiber found in legumes (beans, lentils, etc) & whole grains, like quinoa, steel cut oats, & brown rice pasta will help lower your blood pressures when combined with 8 glasses of water, drunk in between meals each day before 5 PM.

Choose fresh whole fruits for supper at 5 PM instead of fruit juice or baked desserts. Include more variety of vegetables each day, not just those found in salads of spinach or romaine lettuce.

If you are already doing all this, you may need testing for sleep apnea or blood tests for thyroid, but to figure that out I would need to ask you lots of questions. You are welcome to consider a consult if the suggestions above are not working after a few more weeks. 

https://www.vegvor.com/advice/half-hour-custom-coaching-consultation

Best Wishes,

Dr. Carney

• Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.

Off Canvas Main Menu Display