April 4, 2017
  4 Replies
  4.1K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe

I again had the pleasure of hearing Dr. Carney speak at HealthFest in Marshall this year.  I'm intrigued by the alkaline/acid balance state for the body, and have many issues I need to research for more information. Is there a credible and reliable source that can give me more information on this topic, specifically which foods and beverages fall into which category. I'm specifically curious about fermented foods (sauerkraut and kombucha) and caffine free coffee alternatives. Thanks in advance for your reply!

Leslie

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo

Thanks for your question.

This chart is not the only credible source but is a good place to start.

https://www.energiseforlife.com/acid-alkaline-food-chart-1.1.pdf

Many of the less fruit-based herbal teas are alkalinizing (Roibos especially) but all coffees and caffeinated teas, as well as all fermented products are acid-forming.

As I find more evidence, I will keep posting it.

Best in Health,

Dr. Carney

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo

Thank you greatly! 

Leslie

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo

Thank you for posting on this subject.  There seems to be plenty of info about not having alkaline levels high enough.  But what if they are too high (8 or higher on the PH chart)?  What are the implications, effects, etc. of that?

Thanks!

Angela

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo

Hi Angela,

When the urine is dip-tested for pH and shows a highly alkaline pH (8 or above), a urinary tract infection may be present. But it might not be present even if the pH is 8+.

Our body has a hard time staying alkaline enough, so it is not recommended we should be concerned about whether or not we are too alkaline (as long as we are not taking alkalinizing supplements or alkaline water, which I think unnecessary.)

I am not aware of any disease states that are MORE promoted by the alkaline state, nor caused by the alkaline state of the body. Alkalinity is desirable.

But I do know that metabolic alkalosis can be induced by diseases that cause recurrent vomiting out of our stomach acids. Such a disease state is the cause of the alkalosis, but the alkaline pH is NOT the cause of the vomiting (The high pH alkalinity is the RESULT of the vomiting, not the cause).

Respiratory alkalosis can be induced by hyperventilation, but again, the alkaline state is not the CAUSE of the medical condition, but rather the result. Blowing off our CO2 (carbon dioxide) by deep, rapid, excessive mouth-breathing results in a deficiency of carbonic acid, thus raising our blood pH into a state that could be too alkaline. The body tends to faint at this point of high alkalinity, which makes us breathe more slowly and shallowly while unconscious, thus building the CO2 back up and restoring the pH balance, whereupon we regain consciousness. Pretty well-designed body systems, eh? Nobody should deliberately hyperventilate to test this theory, by the way!

Ok, that being said, stress and negative thinking can induce an acid state in the body, as can illness itself. Not to mention the modern diet with processed foods. Whole grains are good for us, and phytic acids in grains is not a concern, but grains are not alkalinizing in the way that vegetables are. Because of the popularity of grains, more people struggle to become alkaline enough rather than suffer from excess alkalinity.

We do not need to take supplements nor alkaline water in an attempt to produce excessive alkalinity in our body.

Rather, we should try to eliminate all acidifying liquids (caffeinated or fermented) and animal proteins from our diet.

The alkaline state helps the immune system to resist infections, cancers, auto-immune phenomena, and allergic issues.

This was a fun question to answer. :-)

Healthy Wishes,

Dr. Carney

• Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.

Off Canvas Main Menu Display