March 25, 2017
  8 Replies
  7.5K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe

Thank you for the enlightening information about bone loss! After I posted my original question I neglected to mention that I was diagnosed with celiac disease and Barrett's Esophagus back in 2004, and my GI doctor put me on the PPI Nexium. I've been taking it ever since, except I started using the lower OTC dosage when it became available that way. BUT, I started doing research and discovered that these drugs cause decreased absorption of B12, calcium, magnesium, and iron!! So now I'm in the process of figuring out how to wean myself off of that totally. I've read that it can cause serious problems if you discontinue it suddenly, so I've started taking an H2 blocker on alternate days, to eventually get off all those types of meds. Any suggestions with this would be appreciated!

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo

Another great question Norma, and thank you for your patience with the answer, as I am busy preparing to speak soon at www.healthFest.com

Getting off acid-blockers requires a diet free of meat, dairy, eggs, caffeine, oil, and fermented foods, and oil for at least 90 days in a row without one cheat. 

In addition to that, one must drink water between meals (as opposed to drinking more than an ounce or 2 with meals) in order to moisten and move stool contents further along in the intestines towards the exit.  Constipation promotes acid reflux and hiatal hernia.

Also, one should take EndoMune probiotics (available online) every AM and PM for at least 60 days, upon arising and at bedtime.

One should also take the anti-gas pill from Swansons online at the beginning of each meal for 30-90 days, depending on how long the GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) remains symptomatic.

Avoiding tight waistbands, mint, all forms of decaf, chocolate and cacao, and carbonation in beverages also helps to eliminate GERD. Flours (of any kind, but especially wheat) plus water makes glue, which slows down the speed at which intestinal contents move. The slower the food and wastes move through the bowels, the higher the risk of acid reflux.  Even gluten -free flour may contribute to the acid-reflux of the most hard-to-cure patients.

Eating ONLY 3 meals per day, with not a calorie in between is very helpful to eliminate GERD, with the biggest meal being breakfast of these 5 food categories: beans, greens squash, and yams, followed by intact cooked whole grains. When the calories stop being ingested after 6 PM, and the bedtime occurs just before 10 PM, the results are most successful in no longer needing acid-blockers.

https://www.drcarney.com/starch-smart-system

The lower the diet is in fat, and the earlier in the day that any fat, if used at all, is eaten, the easier it is to overcome GERD.

And finally, starting each AM with 2 big glasses of water as soon as one arises will go a long way towards easing acid reflux. If one takes a 30 minute walk each day outdoors (no matter the weather) and drinks water in between meals while one is walking, that adds greatly to the likelihood for successfully weaning off PPIs or acid-blockers over a 30 period once these measures have all be faithfully adopted for at least 60 days. The esophagus needs 6-8 weeks to heal.

https://www.drcarney.com/blog/health-issues/long-term-use-of-gerd-meds-are-unsafe

https://www.drcarney.com/articles/chew-chew-training-for-improved-digestion

Constipated people often suffer GERD, as well as varicose veins.

https://www.drcarney.com/articles/the-scoop-on-poop

Slant the whole mattress 4 inches higher at the head than at the feet.  Sleeping with the whole mattress on a 4-inch slant, created by a triangular shaped slant-board the width of the mattress, will also help to keep stomach acid down where it belongs during the night. This can be built out of lumber.  But raising only the head of the bed so that the body is not all one line can increase acid reflux if the body bends at the waist when the head is raised.

And finally, airway obstruction or partial obstruction during sleep pulls acid up into the throat by the suction created when the tongue blocks the intake of air, while the lungs are trying to suck in breath. The lungs succeed in sucking up acid from the stomach, if the airflow is blocked by the tongue. This is far more common than people realize. 

www.GetAveo.com - A tongue-stabilizing device may help, if the person can breathe well through their nose. Who would have thought that Breathe-right strips could help alleviate GERD?

Stay encouraged. Acid reflux and GERD can be overcome on WFPBNO diets, with other modifications as necessary. But the weaning off of PPIs should only begin after one has practiced these principles faithfully for several months first.

Best Wishes,

Dr. Carney

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo

So to make sure I'm understanding you correctly, I should follow all these recommendations for 60 days without one cheat BEFORE I try to discontinue the PPI's?  I have been trying to follow your suggestions for the past year for the first meal of the day, but haven't been for lunch and dinner.  It's hard when my husband is used to eating a big dinner, and it's very hard to eat by 6.  But I want to successfully get off of these meds, so will try to adhere more closely! Every time you share your info, I realize I should have told you about other issues I have.  All this started when I was diagnosed with celiac and GERD back in 2004; in addition I've been pre-diabetic in spite of being vegan for 7 years, and it has worsened; I've been told I have impaired fasting glucose.  I've been gluten free ever since the first diagnosis, but have blindly taken the meds without doing any research. Thanks for all the time you have spent responding to me, and I'm looking forward to your talks at this year's Healthfest!!!

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo

Yes, Do not try to discontinue the PPIs until you have solidified this way of life for 60 days.

I do not want you to fail, start hurting, and then feel discouraged, so that is why you will be prepared to succeed after 60 days.

Thank you for your expressed gratitude...it means a lot!

I'm' looking forward to meeting you in Marshall, TX at www.HealthFest.com

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo

Well, I thought I was doing well today sticking to the scheduled meals and had finished by 6:00, but  realized an hour later when I was experiencing intense hunger pangs that I had forgotten to eat my apple. I broke down and ate it, so does that mean that today doesn't count? I had eaten black beans, quinoa, spinach, and mixed veggies before 6.

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo

Dr. Carney, just wanted to say that Healthfest was fantastic! Thank you for being there! I hate to keep adding questions, but I've been sticking totally to your plan since our discussion started, but am experiencing some problems making it thru the afternoons. If I get delayed and can't eat by 6, I become very very shaky and literally feel like I'm starving. I may have mentioned prior that I've been pre-diabetic for years and my doctor says I having impaired fasting glucose. If I try to go 12 or 13 hours between dinner and breakfast, my fasting count goes up to sometimes even 125! Is there some way to keep this from happening?

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo

Hi Norma,

Although it takes lots of practice to keep the evening meal very light and very early, it does seem to lower the fasting blood sugar levels the best after doing so for a month.  I do realize that in the short-run, some of us feel shakey and this causes fasting sugar levels to rise. It also helps with weight loss, to keep the evening meal light.

There is no need to eat fruit at the end of a vegetable-filled supper.  You did not have to eat that apple.  But if it did not bother you, I do understand.

The fructose in the fruit can sometimes ferment the full stomach that is full of veggies, thus leading to worse fasting blood sugar levels in the short term.  But as the weight comes off, fasting sugars improve, if one is exercising daily and getting to bed by 9 or 9:30 PM, which also helps with weight loss and blood sugar control.

I am proud of you for trying so hard to do so much for your health.

Best Wishes,

Dr. Carney

6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo

when I read your letter, I thought you were writing about me!  LOL!  Hypothyroid, Celiac disease, Barrett's Esophagus, Psoriatic Arthritis, chronic anemia, etc.   I had been taking ppi pills for over 20 years!  It was not until I broke 6 bones, shrank 3 inches, and developed very painful compression fractures on my spine, as well as several hospitalizations for aspiration pneumonia that I had enough!  I had found the McDougall plan, which I followed, but the problems were just too far gone.  I finally had a Nissen fundoplication and hiatal hernia repair 18 months ago and have never looked back or taken another pill.   I realize that is a drastic step but it has been a game changer.  I feel good, and no longer take meds for my psoriatic arthritis either (methotrexate and Enbrel).  I still have pain from the fractures and arthritis, but it is manageable without meds. I still follow McDougall, etc and generally feel ok except for inability to lose weight after my initial 30lb loss.  Hope you are feeling well these days!!

6 years ago
·
Votes
Undo

Phyllis,

Please accept my sympathies on what you suffered before you discovered whole foods on the oil-free plant-based diet.

I am so glad that you are safer now, and off those antacids.

Sometimes surgery can make a wonderful difference for patients, and I am glad you are no longer at risk as much as before.

Best Wishes,

Dr. Carney

• Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.

Off Canvas Main Menu Display