February 7, 2017
  3 Replies
  5.3K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe

Yes! We took the plunge and signed up for the 2017 McDougall Hawaii Adventure. We were very impressed with the excellent management of the event. A special thanks to Carol for such a flawless event!

We met lots of great and interesting people and enjoyed all the adventures. My personal favorite adventures were the Fern Grotto rain forest and the Koloa zipline. We also enjoyed the Kamokila Hawaiian Village, Kauai's Hindu Monastery, Backcountry tubing through sugar cane irrigation canals and tunnels and the Waimea Canyon Tour. We even enjoyed a special treat watching a mother humpback whale and her baby playing near the beach as we ate lunch. The mother was breaching and rolling over in the water while the baby "slapped" the water with it's tail. Each day was concluded with a captivating lecture by Dr. McDougall.

The food was truly gourmet, but, I was surprised to see so many offerings with fat percentages over the McDougall (7%) guidelines. It was truly an "all you can eat" buffet, so there was something for everyone's taste and discipline. With that, I conducted an experiment: Stuff myself miserably full of starches - as much as I could possibly eat, all three meals every day for a full week (within my standard <10% fat). My weight before the trip was 121.2 lbs. Weight after the trip was 120.8 lbs. I think that constitutes a no gain or loss - in line with the "Counting Calories" blog.

See Dr. McDougall's live webinar recorded in Kauai right in the same restaurant where we watched the whales!

This adventure was scheduled to be the last McDougall Adventure, but due to popular demand, another just might be scheduled!!

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo

Sean,

Yes, we had lots of locally grown fruits; bananas, tangelos, oranges, tangerines, mangos, etc. It's amazing how much better fruits are when grown locally! In addition to that, lots of fruit dishes and fruit based deserts (many with added sugar or fat) were served on the buffet. I avoided all with added fats.

My type-1 diabetes blood sugar control was normal-typical. (Sugars and carbs are never a problem in the absence of fats.)

We learned some interesting facts about Hawaii's history, culture, economy, agriculture, etc. Much of Dr. McDougall's lectures were on topics we already know, but refreshing to hear again, especially live. We did learn that Dr. Craig McDougall has quit Zoom Care, due to a conflict in patient management. Apparently, Zoom is leaning towards shorter patient visits with increased use of the prescription pad. Craig quit on moral grounds and is now pursuing a different path.

Dr, Linda Carney,

Yes, there were several dishes with nuts. Also, coconut, both raw and highly processed, was often used. Of course, I avoided all of those!

Looking forward ATX Alive and HealthFest Marshall!!

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo

I am so delighted that you were able to enjoy what may be the very last-ever McDougall tour to Hawaii. I wondered if there would be more nuts than anticipated there.

It is going to be wonderful to see Dr. McDougall and his wife and son at HealthFest in Marshall, TX this year. Can't wait! www.HealthFest.com

7 years ago
·
Votes
Undo

Wow Ken,

Thank you so much for the excellent write-up about your experience there on Kauai with Dr. McDougall. I am assuming there must have also been some amazing tropical fruits available.Were you able to eat them along with all the amazing starches?

How was your Type 1 diabetes blood sugar control there?

Was there anything new and exciting that you learned on this trip?

We are looking foward to seeing you at the next ATX Alive Potluck in Austin.

Sean

• Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.

Off Canvas Main Menu Display