February 7, 2017
  1 Replies
  5.7K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe

I have recently started following a whole foods plant based diet and I have been taking medication for high blood pressure for years. How do I know when I should stop taking them. My doctor is not a plant based doctor.

7 years ago
·
Accepted Answer
Votes
Undo

The best time to stop blood pressure medicine is BEFORE one’s blood pressure dips too low. How low a BP can be before it causes symptoms will be different for each person, because people who have had years of poor diets filled with oils and animal protein may have hardened arteries that can create feelings of weakness if BP drops merely into the normal range. Therefore, it is essential that all patients taking BP meds continue measuring the BP daily and communicating closely with a physician who understands that plant-based diets can dramatically lower BP within 3 days of cutting out all meat, dairy, eggs, oils, caffeine, and alcohol. Beyond these guidelines, the results vary, as some people with lots of bodyfat to lose may not get off their BP meds for a whole year. It is very unsafe to stop BP meds too late, but it may also be unsafe to stop them too soon. A patient with untreated sleep disordered breathing or Upper airway resistance syndrome may not be able to safely discontinue BP meds despite weight loss down to an ideal body weight.

7 years ago
·
Accepted Answer
Votes
Undo

The best time to stop blood pressure medicine is BEFORE one’s blood pressure dips too low. How low a BP can be before it causes symptoms will be different for each person, because people who have had years of poor diets filled with oils and animal protein may have hardened arteries that can create feelings of weakness if BP drops merely into the normal range. Therefore, it is essential that all patients taking BP meds continue measuring the BP daily and communicating closely with a physician who understands that plant-based diets can dramatically lower BP within 3 days of cutting out all meat, dairy, eggs, oils, caffeine, and alcohol. Beyond these guidelines, the results vary, as some people with lots of bodyfat to lose may not get off their BP meds for a whole year. It is very unsafe to stop BP meds too late, but it may also be unsafe to stop them too soon. A patient with untreated sleep disordered breathing or Upper airway resistance syndrome may not be able to safely discontinue BP meds despite weight loss down to an ideal body weight.

There are no replies made for this post yet.

Off Canvas Main Menu Display